The Spring Leadership Exchange (SLE) is a joint venture between Texas A&M University-College Station (TAMU-CS) and Texas A&M University-Qatar (TAMU-Q). Students from each campus visit the partner institution during their respective spring break period. In what amounts to a two-week exchange, students are challenged to consider leadership from a global perspective and develop an inclusive model of leadership which should reflect the values and cultures explored through the exchange experience.
The application deadline for this year’s Spring Leadership Exchange is October 9, 2015.
Following the application deadline, an evaluation team reviews each application. After this initial review, selected students are invited to meet with members of the evaluation team and interview for the program. Once all interviews are completed, the team meets again and selects participants for the Spring Leadership Exchange.
In past years, we’ve had roughly 100 students nominated for the program, and roughly 60 completed applications.
12 students from Texas A&M – College Station will be selected to participate in the Spring Leadership Exchange.
Yes. Students selected to participate in the Spring Leadership Exchange should meet the following criteria:
- Preferred, no previous travel to Qatar
- Current Passport in hand by October 9th with a minimum of a year before the expiration date
- Undergraduate student status in good standing with the University
- A GPR of 3.0 or higher
- Sophomore, junior, or senior classification, but not graduating prior to December 2016
- Leadership experience in student organizations
Selected participants are expected to:
- Attend all trip preparation and reciprocal exchange planning meetings prior to leaving for Qatar
- Serve as a representative of Texas A&M University and abide by all University, student, and trip rules and policies
- Actively engage with Texas A&M Qatar students while they are visiting Bryan / College Station (February 26 – March 4, 2016)
- Actively participate in activities, events, and experiences while visiting Qatar (March 11 – March 18, 2016)
Yes. Historically, students have been asked to contribute $400 to participate in the Spring Leadership Exchange. In some cases, students have been able to secure sponsorships from a college, department, or student organization. In cases where this is not possible and the $400 fee may present a financial obstacle, students are encouraged to contact the Leadership and Service Center in the Department of Student Activities at (979) 845-4878.
If you would like additional information on the Spring Leadership Exchange, please contact the Leadership and Service Center in the Department of Student Activities at (979) 845-4878.